The theatre that produces a new play brings a brand new adventure to its company and its patrons.
The world premiere of an award winning show is a feather in a theatre’s cap!
- Applications to be a Producing Theatre for AACT NewPlayFest 2026 are due by February 1, 2024.
- To apply, visit NewPlayFest Call for Producing Theatre, complete the application, and submit two letters of support.
- AACT will select member theatres to produce the winning plays.
- The Producing Theatres will read the scripts that make it to the final round and select the winning shows that will be produced.
- Producing Theatres will be responsible for providing fully realized productions between June 2025 and December 2026 and for bringing in the playwright for a workshopping session and a performance.
Producing Theatres benefits include:
- Prestige of being selected for a national program
- Premiere a national award-winning play
- National publicity
- Excitement of working directly with the playwright
- Honor of introducing the playwright to the community
- Impact on the future of the work: the interpretations of the director and the actors may reveal insights to the playwright on what works or doesn’t work, leading to rewrites.
- Your cast and production team listed in published scripts
AACT NewPlayFest operates on a two-year cycle. For AACT NewPlayFest 2018, County Seat Theater Company was chosen to present “Sweet“, which they also brought to MACT*Fest 2019.